Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Sneaky Squirrel


Today I am thankful for my son's laughter while we play the sneaky squirrel game on our first family game night. It's the best thing I've ever heard and it makes my heart happy. 

Today for numerous reasons heightened by hormones I was in a really bad mood.  I was irritated by life the moment I woke up.  I was tired from not sleeping well at night.  I was sore from being smushed in my bed by the tiny Bug, he takes up so much room. I was flustered that I was bloated and clothes didn't feel right. It sucked. 

Once I was at work it just spiraled. I was irritated at the thought of my day and dealing with this copier project and roll out.  I was just over it.  I also was missing my boss who was sick today.  She always brings a levity to the office and her laughter and energy perk me up.  I was just missing my normal and wanting more weekend.

Tonight, I had a casserole all made up and ready for the oven when I came home.  I was thankful for that Tator Tot Shepherds Pie, the recipe is easy and to taste below. It gave me the opportunity to grab a glass of wine, relax and play with my baby.  An easy worry free evening of bonding and playing a game.  It was like the me of yesterday gifted me of today with a delicious, warm, home cooked meal and quality time with my little family to make up for the stressful crap of today.  The me of yesterday was so thoughtful.  I hope she comes back again soon.

Tator Tot Shepherds Pie

These are all rough measurements depending on personal preference. This also makes a huge batch, like two 9x9s.

2 lbs ground beef
4 cans cut green beans
A small can of corn
A small can of peas
2 cans cream of mushroom
A medium sweet onion diced
2 carrots fine dice
HP sauce or Worchestershire sauce
Shredded Cheese
Tator Tots

Sauté the onions, carrots, and ground beef, seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, garlic salt, etcetera.

Add in the rest of the vegetables, cream of mushroom soup, and the HP Sauce (to taste).  When fully mixed week, place into baking dishes and top with shredded cheese.  (Two 9x9s used roughly 2 cups.)

Top with the Tator tots and bake for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees or until golden and toasty.  

To prep for later cooking right out of the fridge, bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes uncovered and 10 minutes covered.

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird