Monday, November 4, 2013

Egg-celent Mornings

It's time to bring the food back to the blog. One thing I am currently doing is weight watchers. I'm not unhappy with my weight really but my friend April was doing WW and rocking it so I thought I'd try it. I thought at the very least it would teach me good eating habits to pass on to Bug.

I suck at eating breakfasts. I have never really enjoyed breakfasts and eating them are supposedly keys to weightloss and good health. It's a struggle for me.  My favorite breakfasts are usually early lunches. In following WW I have been on a quest for a good breakfast. My easy go-to is a Chobani Flip. I really love the coconut yogurt with almonds and chocolate chips or the key line pie with white chocolate and pie crust.  They are amazingly good. I can forgive them for being my breakfasts. 

I bought the Weight Watchers 50th Anniversary Cookbook and it rocks. The best thing I've made so far is the Bacon and Broccoli Egg cups.  I didn't have everything I needed and I couldn't share it even if I did but what I can share is the "base" recipe which I have made twice. It's a play on the original and I love it. It's so easy to change up the mix ins. If you are on WW just make sure to point it out for yourself. So today I am so thankful for my breakfasts.



Broccoli Mozzarella Muffins 
Makes 11-12 muffins, 3 muffins per serving
Approx 5 points plus per serving

1 package frozen broccoli pieces
1 small onion diced
1 cup low fat buttermilk
3 eggs
3 egg whites
1-2 tsp coarse mustard
1 table spoon Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle or other Italian Seasoning
2 Garlic cloves minced
2 table spoons flour
1/3 cup shredded low fat mozzarella
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350*. 

Spray the muffin tins with cooking spray or line them for easy on the go breakfasts. 

Place the frozen broccoli and onion in a pan and sauté for 6-10 minutes with the Italian seasonings. After they have sautéed take them off the heat and sprinkle the flour over them and mix.

While the broccoli and onions are cooking place the buttermilk, eggs and egg whites in a bowl and mix with the cheese, mustard, salt and pepper.

Mix the vegetables with the eggs and cheese. Measure out 1/3 c and place in each muffin slot.  This should make 12 muffins.  Bake for 20 minutes or until set.  Remove from the times and eat or store for weekday breakfasts. These are delicious heated up in the microwave for 1:30-2 minutes.

I'm thinking you can add in other vegetable or sub whatever you want.  I'm going to try spinach with sun dried tomatoes soon.  I think that will be delicious.



1 comment:



blogger template by lovebird