Monday, October 12, 2009

Hominy make you love me.

So I am going to continue with my carne asada dinner post. I absolutely love this next dish. I don't really have exact measurements to give you but this is tasty and special. My Grandma Maggie used to make this on occasion when she was forced to cook. Since she has been gone for many years you'll just have to bear with me while I try and work out this recipe (and IF I miss something please leave a comment so I can make changes.) No from the research I've done it looks like this is supposed to be a hot casserole but I've NEVER had it baked so I can only assume my Grandma Maggie had the baked version but preferred hers cold so that's how we end up with this:
1 large can of Hominy
1 small carton of sour cream (Go for the name brand kind people. Knudsen is superior to the grainy brands people get to save money)
1-2 cans of green chilies (Diced or chopped work, I like the fire roasted version)
2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 tsp onion juice (My grandma was the only one I know who had this lovely little potion. I cannot find this anywhere! So I use the small side of my grater and grate a quarter onion into the mix.)
Salt and Pepper to taste ( I prefer to use Montreal Steak Seasonings. Hear me out though, it punches up flavor by adding dehydrated garlic, paprika, and all other kinds of goodies. In a batch this big I use about a table spoon but it works. Try it and trust me,)

No comments:



blogger template by lovebird